We've added the Kinect into the project, and began testing calibration. Because of the sensitivity, and need for accuracy in the readings, we stationed the sandbox in PIRL, which may end up as its regular home. The open floor space and smooth, level surface make for an ideal location.
We didn't have time to do a full calibration of the Kinect, using the Raw Viewer application, but did a test run of the sandbox software anyway. I think for both Charlie and me, getting to this point in the project was a milestone. It became real for the first time, as we worked our hands through the sand and witnessed the change in topography as the data was read by the Kinect. There is more work to be done, but this was a huge step forward.
Below is a photo slideshow of the week, and at the very bottom, a short video clip.