After testing out the great sketches that come from Adafruit for the motor shield, and IR sketches from around the web, we are able to get motors to respond in one sketch, and to get the IR receiver to read the codes from the remote in another sketch. However, we are struggling with getting the two to work together. This is one project where I have stepped in a bit more than others because of its complex nature. However, it has moved beyond my current knowledge level as well.
Enter one of my favorite professional learning networks, k-12 fablabs. I have been a part of this group for the past six months or so, learning something new with every post. Educators from across the globe contribute their knowledge, share experiences, and seek assistance from one another. I turned to the group for help on Friday and within minutes I received a number of responses and suggestions. I will test new sketches of code on Monday and am sure to continue the conversation with my colleagues moving forward. Thank you to Angi, Jaymes and Trevor for your help thus far!
In related news, another contributor to the k-12 fablabs group submitted a new resource from the Smithsonian for 3D printing historical artifacts. The site is called Smithsonian X 3D, and it includes downloadable models that anyone can print on their own 3D printer. What an incredible way for students to study history, to hold and work with accurate replicas of objects from our past. While there are a limited number of objects available now, I look forward to the growing collection.
Here is a sample that I tested out this week. It's a 3D scan of Abraham Lincoln's Life Mask. I printed it on our Cube then painted with water-based acrylics.